Recently I've been reading some of the Little House books again. In one of the books I found a recipe for Gingerbread by Laura. I can't resists such things, so I had to try it. It amazes me that back then those pioneer women already knew how to make this lovely food we still make too. And that Laura had all those different spices! Fortunately I had all those spices in my spice drawer too, so it was a piece of cake to throw it together. I didn't know what equals a "large baking pan", so I baked the batter in a sheetcake pan. Mine was done after 25 minutes.
And how does it taste? Fine, absolutely fine! I compare it with what we Dutch call "ontbijtkoek", but it also has hints of "peperkoek" in it. For me it's a keeper!
This is the recipe:
Ingredients
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup boiling water
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, Beaten
Directions
Mix the brown sugar and the shortening together until creamy. Add the baking soda to the boiling water and add the water to the molasses. Combine the molasses mixture to the creamed mixture.
In a seperate bowl, combine the spices to the flour. Sift the flour into the molasses mixture. Add the beaten eggs to the batter and stir well. The batter will be quite thin.
Pour batter into a large baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Raisins, and or, Candied fruit may be added and a chocolate frosting adds to the goodness.
From my own note I like to add sifted powdered sugar to the top when it is cooled down some. It adds for a nice sweeteness to the gingerbread.



Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten