zondag 15 februari 2009

Plans

The fun thing about this season is that automatically I start planning my garden en cooking for the coming season. It’s too early to plant anything yet, even too early to buy seeds and plants. But the joy of planning is soaking me up already…

I decided to keep the little piece of garden I have simple this year; just cucumber, onions and pumpkin & squash. And I just came up with the idea of planting some white and red cabbage as well. But I think it’s ok to plant these after the cucumber is harvested. It will give the cabbages enough time to grow till winter-harvest time. I guess… Will have to find out the specifics about that!
The other stuff I’m planning will be sowed and planted in pots. Easier to maintain and will keep the snails away!

Last year I managed to plant rosemary and thyme in full ground and until today I can simply cut off the amount I need for cooking! Awesome. No more expensive little bits from the grocery store; just fresh from the garden! I want to try the same with sage this year. Basil, parsley and mint will still be my windowsill herbs this year… It’s hard to keep those outside in Dutch winter weather.

And with planning the things I want to grow I’m also planning the things I’m going to cook from it. Pumpkin, squash, cabbage and sage aren’t veggies and herbs I often use in my kitchen. Marc is the “things I don’t know, I don’t eat” type, so I have to come up with something really good to get him to eat it. I like trying out new food, but often notice that these experimental veggies are quite expensive in the store. But when growing them myself works out fine, it will only costs me a few euro’s for the seeds and some time for finding a yummy recipe. It will automatically bring me to my kitchen…

Geen opmerkingen:

9 maanden banner
9 maanden banner

Volgers